For more than 50 years, LAF has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year LAF’s full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions.
Position: LAF has received a new grant to substantially increase legal services for victims of domestic and sexual violence, human trafficking, elder abuse, and financial exploitation throughout Chicago and suburban Cook County. LAF seeks a paraprofessional to serve as the primary point of contact for clients beginning with intake and continuing with coordination of legal and other services as needed. The expected start date for this position is July 1, 2017.
- Conduct intake and comprehensive legal screening on site at partner organizations and by phone
- Connect clients with in-house attorneys with expertise in identified legal issues
- Coordinate legal services for clients with multiple issues, provide support to clients
- Coordinate with referral partners to ensure clients have access to victim advocates and related services
- Help clients apply for crime victims compensation, including gathering supporting documentation from law enforcement, medical providers, and other proof of reimbursable expenses
- Assist attorneys in preparation of appeals on denied applications when case is filed in Court of Claims
- Provide information and referrals to other needed services
- Participate in outreach efforts
- Attend trainings and maintain up-to-date knowledge on relevant issues
Qualifications: Applicants must be have a college degree, computer proficiency, and be fluent in oral and written Spanish. Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and be able to travel to suburban courts and community partner locations throughout Cook County. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated interest or experience working with domestic violence victims or other victims of crime. Flexibility and ability to work occasional evenings and weekends are essential.
Salary: Depends on experience. Generous fringe benefits.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, copy of college transcript, and contact information for two professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “Client Advocate” in the email subject line. The position will remain open until filled. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
LAF IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF DISABILITY