For more than 50 years LAF has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year LAF’s more than 80 full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Their work impacts more than 40,000 people each year.
LAF is seeking a staff attorney for the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Project within our Public Benefits Practice Group.
Provide full and effective legal representation to individuals
- Co-counsel with other attorneys and paralegals
- Achieve and maintain knowledge of the various areas of law, including state and federal laws regulating long term care facilities, Medicare and Medicaid laws, regulations and rules, and other issues facing elderly and disabled clients.
- Represent clients in administrative hearings, including involuntary discharge hearings and Medicaid appeal hearings.
- Conduct outreach regarding legal issues affecting residents of long term care and the Ombudsman program.
- Maintain proficiency with all equipment, computer hardware and software necessary to perform the duties of the position
Qualifications: Applicants must have a J.D. degree and be a member of the Illinois Bar. In addition the successful candidate will have:
- Excellent research, writing, and litigation skills.
- Strong organization skills.
- Ability to use technology creatively.
- Familiarity with long-term care issues and/or public benefits is not required but is a plus.
Dependent on qualifications and experience level. LAF offers generous fringe benefits.
Applications: Send resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information for two professional references, by e-mail, to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Put the phrase “Staff Attorney, Ombudsman Project, Public Benefits Practice Group” on the subject line of the e-mail. No phone calls, please.
The deadline for applications is July 5, 2017. The position will remain open until filled.
LAF IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF DISABILITY