There are many programs and laws that apply to people who have been in the military, and their families. If you spent time in the military, you should be aware of these programs so that you can find out whether or not you might benefit from them. Below are links to some websites where you can find reliable information on legal help for people who have been in the military.
This site has a wealth of information about the law as it applies to people who have been in the military. There are articles on everything like debt, adoption, education, and everything in between. You can also get connected to an attorney in your area and read news articles about issues facing veterans and servicemembers.
Note: This information is from a national organization so it does not give you Illinois-specific information.
Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs
The website for the Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs has information on all of the benefit programs and services provided to veterans by the state. You can learn about the programs and apply online for many of them.
Some activities of the Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs include:
- Contacting veterans and their families to inform them of the benefits available to them
- Helping veterans and their families obtain benefits
- Conducting educational and training services
- Assisting with coordination of agencies within counties giving service to veterans and their families
- Providing informational resources and education to veterans returning from deployment regarding the use of service animals for individuals with disabilities